Sunday 3 August 2008

Day 1

First things first, as they should be. At some point I will likely explain more of the reasoning behind this project, but for now I'm going to stick to the basics. The basics being that by the beginning of September I aim to have written and recorded 20 new songs, each song being around 2 minutes long. I should state for honesty's sake a couple of things: that I'm going use quite a few scraps of musical and lyrical ideas that have lingered in my head and in a box under my bed for years; and that since I had the idea to do this two weeks ago my mind has been whirring away with ideas for songs, which means I already have a fair clue as to what many of them will be. I'm saying this because I don't want to give the impression that I'm starting completely from scratch, when that isn't quite the case.

With that disclaimer out of the way, on to the business of recording progress.

Today I finished writing two songs – Realityicide and Art Loving People. I've recorded all the basic parts for the first and have laid out the bare bones of the second. Realityicide sounds kind of country, which is what I had in mind, so that's good. It would benefit from pedal steel (an instrument with which I am now obsessed, having seen one in a music shop on Denmark Street at the weekend) but that ain't going to happen. Not in four weeks anyway. At the moment I'm concentrating on guitar based songs, as the piano ones are going to involve some location recording (of a piano, duh). So far, so good...

No comments: